I like the second bag much more than the first one. This is more the size that I had in mind for a sock bag, based on a 6.5″ cube rather than an 8″ cube. Sock needles are usually 6″ long so this is about as small as it can go and still be functional. It’s not perfect but I’m happy with it. The handle isn’t exactly where it should have been, I’d have liked it to be centred on where the seam would have been if there had been a seam. Of course if there had have been a seam there then I’d have got it centred without even thinking about it which is exactly what I did with the first one. I didn’t think about it on the first one (which had fake seams), didn’t think about it on the second one (which didn’t) and as a result it’s ever so slightly not right. The next one will be better.
The button hole is an improvement on bringing the drawstring out through a gap in the seam. There’s nothing wrong with doing that, my knitting bag has a drawstring made like that and it looks the same today as it did when I started using it two years ago. It’s a solution that works, but I’m not sold on how it looks. I like the look of this, I think a bound buttonhole will do very well, at least it will do until I come up with a better idea. I did look at grommets but I need big ones to accommodate the big cord and I though that would be too heavy against the quilting quality cotton.
The dinky little bag is already on its way out of the country, it is going to start a new life in beautiful British Columbia. I’m fine with that because I can now make another with a more perfectly placed handle. It won’t be identical because this is the total of the cotton fabric that was left from lining the bag but I’m sure that I have some other purple cotton that will do equally as well. I can’t believe that the day will ever come when the stash can’t provide a good match for whatever I’m weaving, realistically at some point I might have to plan to match the wool to the cotton rather than the other way around.
I couldn’t decide what to weave next so I saved myself the effort of having to plan something and went for another length of Spring stripes because then I could tie the new warp onto the old one (it wasn’t quite as simple as that because I needed to get the loom waste off the loom to make the tassels for the bags). The green yarn is nicely variegated, it started life as yellow but that was cured by navy dye. This looks to be the same pattern as the purple stripes but it isn’t, it’s similar but easier to weave because the treadles run up and down in order. The purple stripes had a jog in the treadling, not difficult but one more thing to get wrong. If your mind is somewhere else then simpler is better.
It’s not all weaving all of the time, if I’m running around all day I still get to knit in front of the tv at night. I am slogging away trying to work my way through the sock yarn leftovers, I have got them all into one bag now which feels like progress. This is a variation on a DROPS pattern, the last time I knitted it I followed the pattern as written and made the neckline with the shoulder fastening. I wasn’t happy with it so this time I’ve gone with what I know and moved the opening to the front. I also simplified it by knitting single colour stripes. I think there’s going to be a collar although I’m not totally committed to that. I’m not totally committed to dealing with all the ends either but if I do them a few at a time I’ll survive it.
I fixed the malt loaf too. This is the middle of the loaf and you can see that this time the fruit isn’t all in a solid layer at the bottom. The solution was smaller loaf tins, the little loaves cook fast enough for the tea soaked raisins not to have time to sink. The recipe makes two loaves, last time I made one big one and this time I have four small ones. It is a bit more fiddly lining the tins but it’s a small price to pay to avoid the fruit floor in the loaf.
If you want me I’ll be weaving, or weaving in ends depending on the time of day and my level of guilt.