The tree skirt is now packed away for Christmas, given my recent exploits with putting things in safe places and losing them (tune in next time for the great sweater saga of 2015) I should maybe tell the blog that it’s in the airing cupboard. I thought about stippling the white spaces around the blocks for a bit more contrast between the boxes and the background but in the end I didn’t bother. I can always do it at a later date if I feel the need. I ran two lines that I’m calling a ribbon around the outer border, outlined the boxes and ribbons and then pondered the big green star. It’s a design process that I’m calling “making it up as I go along”. I’ve made five or six of these tree skirts before and in all of them I ran round with the walking foot and echoed the star shape. It’s quick, easy and rather boring so as this one is for me I thought I could risk something fancier.
I put a freehand Christmas tree in the top of the seven sections (one section is cut in half by the opening) which worked well enough once I’d worked out how many legs to give the star on the top. That left me with a big chunk of space below the tree trunks and the two triangles each side of the opening and I filled that with what I’m calling a holly wreath. It isn’t really, it’s a string of vaguely holly shaped leaves, some of which were distinctly more holly shaped than others. It worked well enough, I worked without marking (that’s pretty obvious given the shape of some of the leaves) and I managed to fill in the spaces without sewing myself into a corner so I think that it’s a win. I couldn’t get the hang of the ends of the holly leaves, I knew that I was on a loser there because if you can’t doodle it on paper then there’s no chance that you’re going to nail it sitting at the sewing machine. At the moment it doesn’t have anything to hold the opening closed, the previous ones have all had ties but they aren’t very dog friendly. I have a few ideas about what I’m going to do but I’m holding off until I see whether it’s the right size or fantastically too big, depending on how much I have to fold under it may need no closures at all.
The blue and brown striped cardigan is no more. There was no part of it that fitted properly, the neck was too low in the front and inches too wide across the back neck and although I could have added the extra inch or so of width it needed in the body with a decorative feature before adding the button bands I couldn’t be bothered. To fix the neck I would have needed to reknit everything from the cast on to the split for the sleeves and graft it to what I’d already knitted and I just didn’t think that it was worth the effort. It gave me a week’s entertainment and I can reuse the yarn so there’s no great loss. From this you might deduce that I have been casting on and have found better things to knit and you would be right.