These may look like hats but they are part of my strategy for tidying up the front bedroom. The spare bedroom has yet again reached the stage where I look in, sigh and walk away even though I know from previous experience that it never takes as long as I think it will to clear it up and get everything back into boxes. The last time I had a serious sort through of the stash was six years ago when I decided to move out a net two kilos of yarn. At that time I had no idea how big a challenge that would be and it was a surprise to me that by October I’d used up 8.9kg. Admittedly I’d bought rather a lot during the year but once the purchases had been netted off I still hit the target. This year I’m planning to buy less so I think that to aim for a net four kilo reduction is possible. It’s not only about having less stuff in boxes but also about seeing the wood for the trees and getting reacquainted with what I have. I’ve reopened the Etsy shop and intend spinning all the fibre into yarn as that takes up less space. There will no doubt be a number of project bags that will need new homes once I’ve moved enough stuff off the floor to be able to get to the box with the fabric in.
The hats on the right are random odd balls together with the leftovers from the grey cardigan that I knitted for mum in 2014. There are a few small balls of grey left now but not enough for another hat. The hats on the left feature the leftovers from the brown cardigan that I knitted earlier this year. There is one more brown hat on the needles which I think is the last one. I could have done something radical such as weigh how much yarn one hat takes but that thought eluded me. So far all of the yarn has come from off the floor and knitting it means that I don’t have to put it away. There were a few other grey hats but they left in a parcel of other woolies earlier in the month. I also sold a few odd balls of cotton yarn making the total used for January 1.5kg. I bought nothing so that’s 1.5kg net.
This will be the basis of the third phase of hats but not until I’ve made myself a cardigan out of it and have some actual leftovers. This is a kilo cone of aran Forsell Touch of Silk which was so incredibly cheap that it would have been rude not to buy it especially as I bought a second kilo at the same time thereby saving on postage too. It is the same yarn as the brown that I made a cardigan from last year so I already know what sort of fabric it makes and that it changes significantly on scouring as it is oiled for machine knitting. I would usually start with the measurements of the last cardigan I made but that is already too big because I’ve lost a stone in weight since then. I have the yarn, I have the buttons but I need the measurements and a design idea. Don’t hold your breath.
It’s not been all hats this month, I’m knitting them on straight needles and they won’t go in my handbag so they don’t make for good travel knitting. These are socks for feet I don’t know very well, if I’m lucky then they will fit but if not they may return for some minor adjustment. I’ve written down the number of rounds so I could reproduce them again if I get lucky. If I don’t get lucky then at least I know the starting numbers from which I can make adjustments.