Here we are at the end of GCSE week one. The story so far is perfectly boring – no crises, no unusual exam content, everything trundled along as would be expected. The school bus turned up, the roof didn’t fall in and no-one broke a leg. Give me another three weeks of the same and I’ll be well pleased.
I’ve finished the blue and grey sweater that I made from leftovers dyed blue and leftovers left grey. It’s knitted from the bottom up with the sleeves joined in when you get to them and is a mash up of a Drops pattern and the neck from Geilo. If I could have found a set of dpns in the right size I would have knitted the sleeves in the round and avoided a sleeve seam, as it was I knitted the sleeves both at the same time on straights and pretended it was so I could make them match. The worst thing about this turned out to be sewing on the clasps, for some reason I made a small job into a really big one. I sewed all six parts on to then decide that the neck was wrong. I took the collar off, knitted it again but smaller and then decided that the four parts remaining were in the wrong place. When I came to sew them on again I caught a strand of yarn on the back with the first one and had to take it off and then managed a proper knot in the thread when sewing on the second. I like them, they are the same width as a stripe and a good colour match for the grey but the cost (£1.45 each) and the nightmare I had sewing them on means that I probably won’t be using them again or at least not until I’ve stopped associating them with tedium. They are not as eye catching in real life – they stand out in the photo because of the flash but as it’s grey and grim today using the flash was a necessity. I am in no way complaining about the weather, the rain brings the pollen count down which is a blessing for GCSE candidates with hay fever.
The white cardigan is of the same construction as the blue striped sweater in that it’s knitted in one piece from the bottom and the live sleeve stitches incorporated into a yoke. Again I’ve had to knit the sleeves flat because of my inability to find a set of dpns. How anyone can end up with a single double pointed needle I do not know. I could understand having none at all, I could understand having three but how did I end up with just the one? I am still unconvinced with the fabric, it’s ok but I know that I’d like it better on a smaller needle. I am bang on gauge and using one of the recommended substitute yarns but really it needs something a little bit thicker. Maybe I’ll get lucky and the yarn will bloom on finishing in a way that it’s never done before. I am considering knitting this again with my tried and tested method of using smaller needles, the length for the size I need and the stitch count of the size two sizes larger. I am also considering a hat and mitten set so that repeat knit may be happening sometime-never.
This is an actual pattern, not messed about with in any way so you too could knit this. You’d probably knit the bonnet and socks too, so would I if I could live with the tension. It’s DROPS 17-14, a free pattern, and I’m using undyed Fabel sock yarn and the leftovers from previous projects. I think it would have been fine if I’d used the recommended yarn but alpaca makes my nose itch and I don’t like feltable babywear. Drops Fabel is one of the listed substitutes but I remain unconvinced. I would suggest you use something a bit thicker or more fluffy or use smaller needles and a calculator. I would also suggest that you do the right thing with the facings and either cast on 10% fewer stitches or use a smaller needle and change/increase after the fold. A flippy facing is easily avoided, you just have to make the inside slightly smaller than the outside.
That’s it – I’m off for an exciting evening of fifteen decreases every four rows. The end is in sight although I still have the button challenge to overcome.