A quick look at the camera card reveals that we had a weekend away. The dog was exhausted by Sunday night after he had been faced with a non stop parade of squirrels, moorhens and ducks with the occasional swan thrown in for good measure. If you click on the photo you can see the squirrel with its offensive tufty tail to the left of the central tree, I could probably have pointed the camera at a window at random and had a squirrel in shot. You can see that the new sock went with us and I suppose that it is possible that it was really a pair with the other one worn on another day. I’m doubtful but until I start hanging socks to dry I can’t prove that he’s not been wearing both of them. I’m sure I’d be happier if I started making single socks rather than matched pairs but the last time I suggested this as an option it was shot down as being totally unacceptable.
I finished another Wild Iris (on the left), this one is in Apple Laine Apple Pie sock yarn (65% wool, 20% mohair, 10% nylon, 5% silk). I left the button off this time because I found that the lack of a button (and therefore no designated “front”) makes it easier to fling on and as this is for me I can guarantee that flinging will be the order of the day. The yarn was not originally this colour, it may possibly have been “Arizona”, but I was planning on using stash beads and the yarn as it stood went with none of the beads I had. I went on to make another mobius with some pale green Kidsilk Aura that I picked up at a church fete last summer. I weighed it carefully and aimed to use up all of the second ball but the ball ran out with inches of beaded picot bind off still to go. Luckily I had four balls to play with so it wasn’t the end of the world. You may detect some proper photography at work here courtesy of my husband who was testing his lighting prior to photographing more interesting subjects.
I’m still failing with big knitting, I’ve swatched for two cardigans for my mother and failed to start either. One was derailed by the pattern of many errors and the second was doomed by me trying to use a bad choice of contrast yarn. I spent three days trying to convince myself that the two yarns made a harmonious pair when it was blindingly obvious to even non-knitters that the union had nothing going for it. My sweater is waiting for me to comb more wool and that’s on hold until I’ve finished the bit of painting in the kitchen because the last thing I want is dust on fresh paint. I’m done with mobius knitting for now (I have another to show that needs the ends sewing in) and everyone seems to have enough socks so I feel rather at a loose end. No doubt the right project will come along, until it does I suppose I could always get on with finishing those two baby jackets that I’ve been resolutely ignoring.
I have had a few days where I’ve been busy but had nothing to show for it when I sit down at the end of the day. I’ve been comparing exam boards for music exams, researching log storage, chalk board options and catching up with the mountain of laundry that we generate on a weekend away. It’s all necessary and time well spent but I’m left with nothing tangible. It means that I berate myself for doing nothing at all before realising that my “nothing” included three hours in the car, filling the freezer with food and the wardrobes with clothes. I decided that today I would spend some time making something visible and permanent. Where we were stopping at the weekend had a chalkboard wall next to the kitchen and we all had fun with that so I thought that we’d have one at home. My hint for the day is to have plenty of cloths because it turns out that this paint is very, very runny as well as being very, very black. Even if you are usually a mess free painter you may find that you’ve dripped it on the floor and flicked it down the kitchen cabinets and the opposing wall. Not that I did that of course, not that anyone can prove anyway.