There’s been a lot finished this week and a bit of knitting started. Item one – one pair of socks. They need the toes grafting but that’s a tv watching job. I tend to put it off until I need the needles for something else and as I’m not feeling the need to knit socks at the minute they could be hanging around on the coffee table for some time. These are Opal with bamboo/tencel/viscose of some description, intended for summer socks for the husband-feet. It’s cold enough to still be wearing wool so that could also be the reason I don’t feel inclined to get on with finishing them. The colours weren’t particularly inspiring and the remnants will be hitting the dye bath before going into the bit bag.
I have photos of two baby jackets using the same yarn, very literally. The one on the left used the leftovers from my Nine Tailors socks together with odd balls from the sock yarn bit bag. I got nearly to the centre back before deciding that I didn’t really like it and ripping it back. I like version two much more, I took the light yarn out altogether, that will heading to a dye bath before going back in the bag. It’s all crammed onto a small circular needle so I can’t spread it out to show you that there are two matching sleeves, two backs and part of two fronts on the go. It’s another two piece jacket like this one but as the last one got boring before the end this time I’m knitting the smallest size. It’s not quite that simple, I’m using the lengths of the smallest size and the stitch count for two sizes bigger because my tension is 7 spi rather than the 6 the pattern calls for.
For the number three I’m trebling up with three bags, three scarves and three blog posts. The bags have been waiting to be sewn and lined for a while (two years in one case) and I had plenty of time this week to set up the ironing board and the sewing machine and get on with it. This time I even remembered to slip the plastic stopper onto the cords before adding the tassel. The two scarves at the bottom (eyes right) are the rainbow stash wool again, this time paired with some form of Noro as weft. It changed colour in a pleasing manner and pleased me more by changing from two big balls to one small one. The top scarf is some pink yarn whose crime was not changing colour as I thought it would paired with some grey polwarth/tencel handspun that happened to fall into my hand. The grey yarn was lovely, the pink will probably be overdyed before hitting the bit bag (can you see a recurring theme here?)
I seem to have got a lot done this week and that’s because I did get a lot done this week. It’s been the first week of the school holidays and also a week of actual holidays although we’ve all been sleeping at home. I hosted my own personal wool retreat while the rest of the household went off each day to a brass summer school. They left immediately after breakfast and didn’t come home until 9pm. This meant that I had no meals to get ready (mine doesn’t count because I’ve been eating salad+something or forageing in the freezer), which meant no grocery shopping, no need to put my stuff away and I had great big swathes of time to play with. I did wonder if I might get bored with playing with wool all day but to be honest a week wasn’t long enough.