Tackling the sock scraps bag

Posted by Caroline in Dyeing, Knitting, Spinning on April 12th, 2018

I finished spinning the yak silk blend and decided to leave it in its original (natural) colour. I’m still pondering the next decision which is what it is going to be. I suspect that it is wanting to be a simple cowl but it could also be a woven scarf and it obviously can’t be both so it gets to sit for a little longer while I make my mind up. The rest of the spinning recently has all been in colour, there was 70g of purple superwash and nylon which I also had in blue so I spun both of those intending to use them with the bag of sock yarn leftovers. I also had a length of red/brown/gold which was rather more red/brown/orange than I had intended it to be. The colour has not improved at all with keeping so I turned it into yarn and fixed the colour issue with dye. I like the yarn on the right more than the yarn on the left and as it is now has less contrast it will work better with the bag of sock yarn leftovers.

I have had two false starts, three if you count the mitten that is sitting waiting for the second hand. Again, the theme is using up sock yarn leftovers. I thought about making mini mittens for an advent calendar but this is as far as I got with the first one before deciding that it was more trouble than it was worth. You can just see the “1″ emerging in the pattern. It was too fiddly and needed a pattern so failed the requirements for travel knitting. I tried a bigger mitten, one that was actually hand sized and that worked better because it didn’t need a pattern but despite being round and round knitting it didn’t really grab me. The third false start was a baby jacket, a lovely slab of striped garter that could be stuck in my handbag and dragged out while I waited for the gigging musician to finish his thing. This would have worked except that I’ve knitted it many times before and so didn’t read the pattern. I was carrying it around for weeks before I picked the pattern up and saw that I’d missed some essential shaping not long after the start. I would like to say that this is how we learn except that this is a repeat offence and I didn’t learn from my previous lessons so I’m not hopeful that I won’t do this again.

I am hoping that this project makes it to the finish line and turns into a child sized earflap hat. The lighter purple is the yarn that I spun this month, the darker is a single 50g ball of Fabel sock yarn and I’m going to use those in stripes together with whatever I pull out of the scrap bag. I’m struggling a bit at the moment because the circular needle I’m using is only just small enough for the number of stitches I have. On the plus side this is pulling out the work so I have no worries about the floats being tight but it is an effort moving the stitches around the needle. I’ve started so I’ll carry on with this needle until I reach the first decrease round but if I knit another I either need to make a bigger size or find a shorter needle.

In March I bought neither yarn nor fibre. I knitted another five hats (450g) and a pair of socks (90g) so that makes 540g in the month and 4.97kg to date. The socks were another scrap bag creation, one of the yarns was self striping and I was amused beyond belief to find that the toes ended up matching without any thought on my part. The stripes in the body of the sock are yarn changes, they would never be an exact match because one of the yarns was a colour changing one and another was from a dyed sock blank. They are an obvious pair and that’s good enough for me. Today his feet left the house in a pair (and I use the term very loosely) that had one green foot and one red. I hope he has another pair the same.