Unstuck

Posted by Caroline in doubleweave, Knitting, socks, Weaving on June 18th, 2018

I’ve not done any weaving in a very long time. The floor loom has been sitting gathering dust on a project that was going nowhere, I threaded it in July 2014 and wove seven inches before deciding that I hated it. The red and the black were fine but there was something wrong with the yellow and orange. Funnily enough the colours did not improve at all with the passage of time but it still took nearly four years to admit that this was a failure and pick up the scissors. I have a suspicion that I’m not going to like this piece of fabric either but that’s fine, it’s a sample and if I learn something from it then it will have done its job and it can leave home as a lap blanket. Planning it occupied my mind at a difficult time so even if it doesn’t make it to the finish line it will still not have been a waste. Also, it’s all leftover sock yarn so I’ve already had the value out of the original purchase. You may be able to tell from these justifications that I already think that it is a total write off and I haven’t got half of it threaded yet.

I knitted one pair of socks from the scrap bag that needed a bit of a stripe adjustment because I was running out of the brighter yarn on the second sock. No-one will notice that the teal stripe on the top sock is wider as it nears the toe, it’s less noticeable than it would be if the solid toe had started six rounds earlier. After that I got on a bit of a roll. Once upon a time I bought some lovely cashmere/superwash merino/silk sock yarn from a destash and before it arrived I bought two other similar sock yarns to go with it for my grand plan. When I received the very lovely yarn I found that it had been home to moths and by the time I finished with the skein I ended up with over a dozen small balls which rather took the shine off it. Enough time has passed now that I don’t feel bitter when I look at it and needless to say I can’t remember now what I intended to do with 300g of orange/red yarn. When I was tidying up and found the bag I looked at the small balls and thought”stripes”. Whenever I look like running out of brown yarn I rummage in the sock scrap bag for something to dye brown and set off again. I could be good for months with this, I was intending to knit round and round until I ran out of yarn but then something better came along.

This will not count in the reckoning of yarn in and out because this is foster knitting. This is the point at which I start knitting (oh dear, all those rows of rib I don’t have to do, how sad) and I can show you now what it will grow up to be because I’ve knitted it before. This is the start of a Nine Tailors sock kit, when I knitted it in 2010 I said that it was the most interesting thing that I had ever knitted and I think that is still the case. It has lace, beads, cables and fiendish colourwork. This time I am going to knit the colour chart the right way up and there will be twice as much of it as I’ll be following the pattern rather than making it shorter to accommodate my trouser bottoms.

I’ve held off posting this until Monday afternoon which was the last day of A levels in this house, exams are still going on depending on subject but we are done now. This is one ending that I’m glad to see, I want to turn the page and move on to the next chapter.