It works for me

Posted by Caroline in Dyeing, Knitting, socks, Spinning on March 5th, 2014

Baby Sirdal has been rescued from the bag of abandonment. I’ve finished the first sleeve and started the second although I’m not yet at the point where I can see that I’ve successfully reversed the cuff. I know from mittens, gloves and studying organic chemistry that I have terrible issues with chirality mirrored items but because I know that I can’t see the difference I don’t often get it wrong. I take a lot of care to check that what I think I see is really what is there. In a few rows time there will be much poking and several second opinions and then I’ll leave it overnight and check it again. I know that it shouldn’t need much thinking about, I just need to do what the pattern tells me to do but that assumes that I managed to do that on the first sleeve.

I’ve got as far as setting the wheel up, I put it away for Christmas and never got it back out. I know, it’s shocking, what is the world coming to? In my defence I would like to point out that I’ve not been well. I found the samples I made when I knitted Celtic Dreams back at the end of 2010 (18 stitches, 24 rows per inch) which should serve as a staring point for the yarn for Yoho (16 stitches, 20 rows per inch). I know that some spinners have elaborate systems for storing samples and have purpose made books or cards with attached yarn and ratio notes. I have a system that works for me and it obviously does work seeing as I found the relevant samples in under a minute. My tried and tested system is that I stick things in a bag that lurks near the wheel. I have the unwashed single, the washed plied yarn and the knitted sample. Hopefully I should be able to get the yarn I need on the first attempt.

It’s still sock knitting season here although I am starting to be bored with round and round knitting which is why the last pairs have had patterns. This pair will be going away for birthday/Christmas presents and by the time they reappear I may have forgotten that the toes don’t quite match. The yarn originally had a pink and white section that was right on the very edge of being husband-acceptable but you can’t see that in the finished sock (at least not after its encounter with navy dye). Ordinarily I would have dyed the yarn before knitting it but I had no other knitting so I didn’t want to wait for it to dry. I also wanted the leftovers to be pink and that’s not going to happen if you start with navy. The easiest thing to do was to knit the socks, dye them navy and then dye the leftover yarn pink. I can recommend dyeing the socks rather than the yarn because not only does it avoid having to wait for the yarn to dry, it also avoids the work of turning a ball of yarn into a 420 yard skein to then wind the 420 yards back into a ball. The only skeining and winding that I needed to do was that of the leftovers and that was only a quarter of the work. For anyone wondering why I bought the yarn if I didn’t like the colour – I buy most of my sock yarn very cheaply in Ravelry destashes and the colour is immaterial because I know that I can change it.


One Response to “It works for me”

  1. Carolyn says:

    Based on the amount of obvious yarn-based activity it looks as though you’re feeling better! The baby jacket is coming on a treat, and I still love that blue ;0

Leave a Reply