Sirdal has not had a good week. I went shopping for buttons and found ones that would have been perfect if they’d been silver rather than gold. I couldn’t find any that were both the right size and colour so settled for a set that were nearly what I wanted. Once I got them home I liked them even less than I did in the shop so I’m now waiting for the postman to bring my second set of buttons. These could turn out to be too big because showing a finger for scale is not a perfect way to size anything and I should really have asked the seller for actual measurements. The band had other problems, firstly I picked up and knitted it on the wrong sized needle and then it had a brief encounter with the vaccum cleaner. I went out to take the dog a walk and came back to find a clean floor, a contrite husband and an inch of working yarn.
I did the same thing that I did on the neckline of the sweater that I made for Dan, I picked up stitches along one edge and then turned over and picked up stitches on the reverse side. When I did it last time I used a circular needle on the reverse and created stitches on both sides at once. That means that you automatically end up with the same number of stitches on both sides but I wasn’t in the mood for all that messing with circular needles. This time I picked up stitches on the right side, turned at the top and then picked up stitches on the wrong side. If on the reverse you pick up from the yarn used to make the stitch on the first side then you will end up with the same number of stitches as on the front (one less but let’s not quibble about that). If the light’s not good and you miss a few bumps on the second side then you end up with less stitches than on the front but at least you can console yourself with the thought that it means that the casing is less likely to flip forwards. I did a three needle cast off to finish and the cut edge is now hidden away forever. I still have to make the matching band with the holes in and sew the sleeves in but the end is in sight. I’m hoping that the second set of buttons will be perfect in every way and inspire me to bump this to the top of my knitting list rather than keeping it for Saturday morning music school knitting
I’ve spent much more time this week sewing than knitting. This is Kwik Sew 3883 again, this time in the long sleeve version. I had hoped to finish it today but I decided to stop while I was ahead. My experience is that I make mistakes when I carry on past the point where I’ve had enough so as soon as I started wondering whether I could call it a day I decided to pack in. I stopped with one cuff and the buttonholes to do, I could have been finished in under an hour or it could all have gone horribly wrong and ended in a massive unpicking session. At least I won’t have button choice issues with this, I bought fifty white shirt buttons when I made the first shirt so I just have to sew some of them on. I bought enough fabric for two white shirts and I have nearly two yards left. I ignore the layout of pattern pieces shown in the instructions because it’s always simple but inefficient but I hadn’t realised just how much I could squeeze out of the yardage. If it hadn’t have been a plain fabric then there would have been more waste but as it is I have enough left to cut another shirt all bar the sleeves (that sounds strange but it means that I just need to buy another half metre for a short sleeved shirt). I’ve bought two sewing books, two more patterns and some fabric samples too so next week the post will be full of all sorts of interesting things as well as (hopefully, perfect) buttons for Sirdal.