Let me not keep you in suspense a moment longer – it was a close run thing but the post arrived a full twenty minutes before the last fence panel went in. I feel so much better now that my garden is useable again and the dog was delighted to see the grass. The fence needs painting, I’m passing on Carie’s suggestion of Groundforce blue because I think a full six panels of it might be too overpowering. I did paint all my tatty concrete planters that very colour several years ago and a pot of masonry paint totally transformed them but I don’t think that it’s the answer here. The bucket of “Cedar Red” that was in the garage was given a trial on a corner of a panel and it turned out to be more of a cedar orange so that’s out too. Subject to further consultation with the neighbours on the other side of it the fence is going to be a nice plain not-orange brown. That’s planned for the weekend, weather permitting, so if you’ve nothing better to do you can wander over to the husband’s blog and watch the painting action on gardencam. The pile of stone in the bottom corner should be forming itself into a wall and then there may even be some plants in the dust that is masquerading as a border.
This is what the postman brought, it came flat packed but only needed two screws to reassemble it. The woodwork on this also needs finishing, again I think that blue or cedar orange is out and the solution here is probably some wax. This is an Ashford inkle loom that I’ve rehomed from The Loom Exchange, it’s an older model because the current one has a different arrangement for maintaining the tension and has several more pegs. It will make a shorter length of braid but as I have the attention span of a gnat that isn’t such a big problem. It didn’t have any instructions but once I’d worked out that the warp is a continuous loop and circles around as you work it then it was straightforward. So far I have managed to make heddles, read a pattern, advance the warp and adjust the tension. This is Patons 4 ply cotton in pink and burgundy, I’m working towards handspun silk but I thought I’d better start off with something more utilitarian. The next braid will be wider with some pickup patterns and maybe after that it will be time for the silk.