The painting stopped last week but that was fair enough because everything else stopped too. It’s been a long time since I had proper bone-aching ‘flu and I hope it will be a long time until I have it again. Time has passed, as it does, and I’m better again.
The blue Portland needed brain work, the choosing of appropriate needles, the knitting and measuring of a tension square and then the matching of pattern to yarn. There are no prizes for guessing that I was not capable of that last week and I didn’t progress further than looking at the yarn. There’s always a new week just around the corner and perhaps it will get done then.
I had days where I did nothing but sleep but then I started to get my act together and I was grateful to find that I had a big lump of brainless knitting to get on with. This was supposed to be rectangular and it is, just not quite as rectangular as I’d imagined. This is my own fault because I didn’t do anything so dangerously radical as plan it, sketch it out or even think very hard, I just started knitting. It’s bigger than it was last time but the bag of scraps doesn’t seem to be any smaller. It is possible that it isn’t any smaller because every bag I open has sock yarn scraps in it and I keep throwing them in the project bag. I hope that at some point I will finish clearing out the remains of other projects and I might then start to gain on the bag. My corners aren’t all they could be but that’s what you get from knitting at night when you can’t see exactly where they are.
I’ll have to knit quickly because the next additions to the scrap bag will probably be from these socks. I found the pinkish yarn a while ago, started knitting and then weighed the ball to find that it was 70g rather than 100g. I know that I can get a pair of socks from 70g but I’m not entirely sure that I can do that and match the pattern as well. It was far easier to pick out a ball of yarn from the scrap bag and add a stripe or two When I’ve knitted the second sock as far as the first I’ll see how many pattern repeats are left in the ball and work out how many more stripes I need to add to be able to have toes. I did try to see how many repeats were in the ball but the ball of yarn was more than a match for me and it won hands down. I sorted out the tangled mess and I’m waiting for the rematch when there will be less of it to fight with.
I have no idea what this will be, it’s superwash bfl and nylon and I have it in purple, blue and olive. Originally it was going to be socks but once I saw the yarn I thought that it was too pretty to be stuck in shoes. Gloves or mittens would be the wrong colour for my coat which leaves me with gift knitting. Something will come to me, hopefully before I’ve finished spinning the rest of it.