I finished spinning all the skunk tail batts, washed it, dried it and packed it away. There are at least two warps standing between it and the loom so it’s not in any danger of becoming a rug just yet. I’m still working my way through the sacks of 2011 fleece purchases and even a little spun up is a move in the right direction. The purple yarn started the week as Portland fleece, this week I’ve combed it, spun it, plied it and dyed it. There is about 500 yards here, it’s going to be a little beaded shawl providing that it behaves itself when knitted and the beads I’ve ordered turn out to be the right colour in real life.
This started off as more odd ball wool, at some time I dyed two hanks of some wool I can’t now remember for a project I can’t now remember. The one thing that I do remember is being pleased that I got exactly the colour I wanted so it’s a mystery that I went on to use something else. It made a lovely warp, it’s nearly but not quite solid and the slight variations of colour aren’t enough to swamp the diamonds (it’s raining/sleeting/snowing so you’ll have to take my word for the subtle colour variation). I like it, it’s a length for another of those one piece bags because the wool isn’t really soft enough for a scarf.
I was sewing the buttons on this at about the same time that the ambulance was arriving to school to collect the teacher who had gone into labour two weeks early. I don’t feel guilty that I caused it because I didn’t know she was pregnant so I couldn’t have been knitting the jacket with her in mind. It is finished, seams sewn, buttons on and ends sewn in so if she had a girl this will be going to school on Monday. If not then I’ll be finally sewing up this one from last January. That’s usually how long it takes me to finish something, it’s exactly how I left it after the photo for the blog. No ties, no seams, no interest. I needed to finish the pink one quickly – until I’d knitted the edging and made the button loops I couldn’t use the leftover pink for something else and I’m planning another in pink and brown.
It’s knitted in two pieces and sewn together at the centre back. I wound the sock yarn oddments into centre pull balls so that I could work both pieces at the same and have them match with little effort. I didn’t feel like icord edging, I rarely do, so I edged this with two dpns, picking up stitches with one and then casting them off purlwise at the other end of the needle with the other end of the ball of yarn. I could have picked up all around with a circular needle and then cast off purlwise on the second round but it’s easier with two dpns, you don’t have all those stitches sitting around and you can see straight away whether you added enough ease at a corner for the edging to turn and sit flat. It doesn’t have the roundess of icord but it does the job.
I’m beginning to believe that I could knit all year from the bag of leftover sock yarn. This is another baby jacket and I’m knitting both sleeves at the same time because you know what I’m like for having things match. The photo needed flash, you’ll have to take my word that the blue is less evident in real life. I feel like I’ve been knitting the sleeves forever which is usually a sign that they are about the right length. I measured them and I have about half an inch to go before I get to do something other than knit with two increases every eight rows. It’s made ideal tv knitting this week but I’m ready for a change.
Next week I’ll try to take photos when there is some sign of the sun, either that or I’ll skip the photos altogether and attempt a description. Either would be better than colours distorted by flash or missing in poor light.