I have been doing a fair amount of hand sewing in the evenings, I’ve hemmed a dozen hankies and sewn bindings on two quilts. When I’ve run out of sewing I’ve had a big slab of garter stitch to fall back on. This is sock yarn on a 3.25mm needle and before I’m done I’ll probably have used all of the ball and some leftovers as well. This will become a baby bog jacket, the last one I knitted back in 2007 was a smaller size, bigger yarn and bigger needles but I remember it as being much more boring than this. I have learned from last time and now if anyone asks me what I’m knitting I demonstrate by tearing and folding a sheet of paper. The orange waste yarn is where I will separate the sleeves from the body, fold the outside edges inwards to make the fronts and fold the top edge down to make the sleeves. I also sewed a few ends in, knitted a collar, found four buttons and finished another baby sweater. This is Drops B13-12 except that I ignored the striped pattern because I had a big bag of sock yarn leftovers to use up. It didn’t use up all of the leftovers but I didn’t enjoy trying to knit random rows so I didn’t feel like knitting another. I started it in March but compared to some of the other things I’ve been finishing lately it counts as a speedy project.
The thing in the wardrobe is now a thing on a bed, it took a ridiculously small amount of time to quilt once I had decided on the motif to fit into the trees. My quilting improved somewhat but it still wasn’t as good as the quilting in the sashing. I was moaning about my loss of skills to my husband and he worked out that the initial quilting would have been done on the Janome rather than the Bernina. I’ve swapped the machines around and he is right, the tension is far better especially on the swooping curves. The Janome has now been promoted to the sewing cabinet and the Bernina will now be the dining table machine. That will teach it to mess with my tension.
Flushed with success I set about quilting the cabin wallhanging for the top of the stairs. I went with something freeform that looks like wind and that was even faster to finish because I twirled my way across from one side to the other. That’s now bound and hung and it fits in the space I have so I didn’t do anything silly with my initial calculations. The small squares are four inches so the whole thing is less than a yard square. At the moment the wobbly edges aren’t bothering me enough for me to take it down, soak it and block it flat. I am really pleased with myself for finishing this, it deserved better than being stuck in a box in a cupboard. It goes without saying that I have other boxes in the cupboard, hopefully I’ll get to those before I run out of steam.
Next in the quilting queue was the larger of the two tree skirts, I was hoping to have it finished by now but I ran out of thread and enthusiasm at about the same time. I didn’t have time to get the coffee table moved, the three layers smoothed and the whole thing pinned before Mr Fluffy came back from his morning walk. He was a Good Dog and settled down to supervise with his chin just on the edge of the sashing. I went to get a cup of tea and give my knees a rest and when I came back he had settled down for a snooze on the section that I hadn’t pinned. It’s not far off being finished now, I need to bind the centre, stipple the white areas around the boxes and decide what I’m doing about fastening the open edge. I’ve quilted Christmas trees and holly leaves in the green star, outlined the presents and I spent two evenings sewing the binding. I’ll probably do exactly the same things with the smaller tree skirt too except with it being smaller I have a chance of getting it basted without canine assistance.